|Ladies – Do NOT carry a gun in your purse!|
Men, if you know somebody that carries in their purse, please share this with them. Ladies, I believe every woman should know how to defend themselves and, ideally, should carry a gun on them at all times. That being said, I’m against purse carry. For five reasons…
1) I like keeping my gun ALWAYS on me. When you carry a purse, there are a lot of times you may place your purse down, such as when dining, you may keep it on the table or slung on your chair. Whenever the gun is not on you, it makes it far more accessible to prying hands, such as from a thief or even a sneaking child. For example, there was an unfortunate accident that happened at a Walmart when a chemist, who was a valedictorian, kept her gun in her purse (a special holster purse), and left her purse unattended in the shopping cart for just a moment to check on the price of an item. In that brief moment, her two year old son unzipped the special compartment, pulled out her gun, and shot her dead by accident. You can read more about this tragedy here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/12/31/the-inside-story-of-how-an-idaho-toddler-shot-his-mom-at-wal-mart/She was a smart woman, was educated on firearms basics, had a concealed carry permit – but all it took was a second of leaving her purse behind. Personally, if I were a woman, I wouldn’t want that burden on me of always having to keep my purse close to me with the consequence of a possible accidental death occurring should I forget my purse for just a second.
2) When an attacker tries to rob you – what do you think they might go for first? If an attacker steals your purse – now you are left unarmed. Not only are you unarmed – but now the attacker, if they were not originally armed, is now armed with your own gun.
3) Drawing from your purse works when you are doing it from an ideal standing position… but should you get tackled or knocked down, there is a good chance you may land on your actual purse or that your purse may actually come off from you. If you landed in a bad position, on or away from your purse, you may not be able to draw your pistol from it. An attacker isn’t always going to announce his/her intentions from a distance.
4) Drawing from your purse requires a special holster purse – and a lot of ladies that want to wear designer purses will be turned off by this (“Coach” or “Louis Vuitton” don’t carry holster purses).Just tossing your gun loosely into your purse or into an oversized pocket is not going to be ideal when you need to reach into your purse and draw. Furthermore, with regular purses, a lot of accidental purse shootings happen when ladies are reaching into their purse for their phone, keys, wallet, etc., and accidentally pull the trigger on their gun, or they drop their purse and something in their purse pushes up into the trigger and makes the gun go off. If you are going to carry in a purse, you need a holster purse, they are designed to carry and secure guns – and to make them very accessible for a quick draw.
5) Drawing from your purse, if done incorrectly, can sweep yourself, which exposes you to accidentally shooting yourself… it requires specific technique and practice.
|Don’t I look so stylish! Concealed carry for women tends to be a little more complicated just because women tend to wear more form fitting clothing than men do. The tighter the clothes, the harder it is to conceal your firearm. But that being said, there are plenty of holsters designed specifically for women that accommodate for most fashion styles. There are hip hugging holsters, corset holsters, bra holsters, ankle holsters, etc., that, to me, since they are all on-body holsters, I consider them superior to a purse holster.But at the end of the day, if for some reason a purse holster is the only choice you have, I would consider it a better choice than not carrying a firearm – but you have to take into account all the points I listed above and train plenty with it. I hope this helps add some perspective for the women on my list and for the husbands/boyfriends that may have a significant other or family member that carries in their purse.Aren’t a member our shooting club yet? 🙂 Let’s do this! Send me your name and phone number and we’ll give you a call with more info about our program and even set you up with a gun lesson at no charge, just to check us out.|
Click here for more info
Click here to Register for our next Concealed Weapon Class!
Ladies – Do NOT carry a gun in your purse!